What is Spyware?
Spyware are malicious programs that run undetected on personal computers and allow thieves remote access to your system or information. Spyware is often spread through trojan emails containing links or attachments that install the harmful programs on your computer when you click on them.
The best defense against spyware and trojans is to install anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
HOW DO I KNOW IF SPYWARE HAS INFECTED MY COMPUTER?
Watch for the following indications:
- Email attachments or Internet downloads that end with ".exe" or ".dll"
- A high volume of pop-up ads appearing on your computer
- A sudden change in your browser's home page
- Sluggish or slow performance when opening programs or saving files
- New, unexpected toolbars that appear on your browser
HOW DO I PREVENT SPYWARE FROM INFECTING MY COMPUTER?
- Keep your operating system, browsers and anti-virus and anti-spyware software up-to-date
- Download software only from sites you know and trust
- Don't click on links inside pop-up windows
- Avoid opening and reading unsolicited e-mails. These can expose your computer to spyware
- Install a firewall to block unauthorized users from accessing your computer